Sunday, 25 March 2007

SciFest Diary - Day 4

Day four of Scifest saw the completion of Hayley and my first multimedia package! (waits for rapturous applause and a standing ovation). Please check it out at: Cut The Fat Makana

It feels really good to finally have something up and running and to be able to tick it off the list of things to do. I learnt a few valuable lessons through this first package. The first one is that you need to have a clear angle, otherwise you will find yourself with too much general information, but insufficient information on a specific issue. This can lead to problems. The article posed this particular problem for me because I was following to separate story angles and the challenge came when I (or Jude) had to integrate them into one coherent piece. On the whole, my writing skills were questioned and while this has been hard, I am eager to learn the right way of doing things.

Our photostory and audio didn't pose too many problems. It helped that we recorded our own audio in a sound booth, so we eliminated issues of potential distortion of sound, wind inteference and the basic admin of traipsing around with mini disk players. Photgraphy went well and I think that our slideshow is effective. Thanks be to Hayley!

So, one down , three to go. I have finished my article on hypnosis and tonight went up to the monument to get hypnotist Stephane Juncker to record a few minutes of audio for our audio slideshow. I then went online and downloaded (legally) a healing and meditation piece as backing to Stephane's voice. We haven't edited and put the two pieces together yet, so we wait with bated breath to see if it works.

Hayley and I were unable to get good photographs during the hypnosis show we attended on Thursday, so we have liased with Stacy Nel, a photographer at the show, to use her photographs. We will then credit her.

Other than that, today went well. My sincere thanks to Jude for buying Arthur, Lauren and I pizza - it was sooo good and almost worth being in the labs until 12:30am!

Ciao for now*

No comments: