Wednesday, 28 March 2007

SciFest Diary - Day 5

Sunday morning am saw the completion of Hayley and my second multimedia package. Check it out at Hypnotism: Theatrical Therapy. This was an overall good experience and Jude did not rip my article to shreds as much as the previous one, so onward and upward as they say ...

This afternoon, Hayley and I attended the Science Through Toys workshop run by Arvind Gupta. This is part of our third multimedia package. We attended the workshop and I interviewed Gupta, learners and teachers about what they thought about the workshop. To give the story a South African and specifically Eastern Cape angle, I managed to get some statistics and facts about the education system here, specifically in rural schools.

Gupta's toys could really be utilised as they are cost-effective because they are made from junk and easy to make. It really opens children up to learning and he is a very inspiring individual. You can download all his books about how to make toys from his website: Arvind Gupta Toys . It is a shame that Grahamstown schools did not capitalise on his visit.

I then came back to the NML labs, as I have done for the past four days and proceeded to write up my article. However, the pictures Hayley and I took did not come out so great, the lack of battery power did have something to do with that. This was a valuable lesson in always being PREPARED!!! This means charging your batteries the night before and not taking for granted that they are charged without checking. My bad ...

As a result, we will have to go to Gupta's workshop again tomorrow to get photographs for our photostory. We also need to review our fourth story - women in science. Seeing as most of the women in science have already left Grahamstown, we might have a problem.

No comments: