Wednesday, 28 March 2007

SciFest Diary - Day 7

You know in the Bible when the 7th day is a day of rest? Ja, well, no, not in the New Media course. This morning, bright and early, Hayley and I trekked up to the Monument for the LAST TIME!!! (applauds self, as no one quite understands the feelings of resentment that have surfaced over the past 7 days regarding that hideous, badly designed, cold, brick, structure). We attended the the DNA workshop run by Valerie Corfield and it was so much fun. I was allowed to participate in the workshop and actually extracted DNA from ground wheatgerm. I also got to make my own paternity story and take part in a play - it was like high school and I was the atar pupil! It was great fun and an overall learning experience.

Hayley took photgraphs and these will be used in the phot gallery and I have finished the captions that centre around the workshop itself. The article itself will centre more around DNA testing in South Africa and how it is used to solve crimes. Corfield wis an extremely colourful lady (literally - her shoes were two different colours) and she provided us with a fair amount of detailed information about South African forensics.

To give the article a Grahamstown context, I called Mali Govender the media spokesperson at the Grahamstown police station. This was not a successful telephonic interview. It is difficult to ask someone questions with your perfectionist, highly-critical lecturer looming over you while you are on the telephone. I am also a little out of interview practice and I don't think that I had a clear idea of what information I wanted from her. As a result, I was led on a wild goose chase straight into red tape land and as a result of my lack of direct and probing questions, will have to repeat the phone interview tomorrow. AAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Tomorrow is deadline for all completed stories, so the end is in sight!

Cheers*

1 comment:

newmediajude said...

Sorry. I thought you were going to call Thailand.